Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Am Not Subtle

To begin the story you need to understand that I have worked in the service industry for a number of years. Both in fast food, and car washing. I've had to deal with some real a-holes. I now no longer have to. Having said that I lead you to the real story.

I was at the grocery store the other day (Smiths), buying some food and stuff just like everyone else and minding my own business. I get my stuff together and I proceed to the check out. Usually I would go to the do it yourself ones, but I felt kinda lazy that day, not to mention there was a fairly attractive cashier. In line ahead of me is an older lady with a modest amount of food. I don't think to much of it, I don't have anything else to do that day. So who cares. She gets all her food through and I think she's about to pay, but wait a second that's not cash she's pulling out, it's coupons!!! Ok, no biggie not that big of a deal. Well the cashier seemed to be new, and didn't have everything down, but she got through it alright. That is until she came to one coupon that just so happened to be expired. The cashier very nicely, and politely tells this lady she can't accept the coupon because it had expired. The older lady puts her hands on her hips and says what do you mean its expired? The cashier again very politely tells her and shows her that the coupon has expired.

And that is when all hell breaks loose. This older lady just goes off on the cashier. Just belittling her, asking her how hard is it to scan food and take money. Calling her stupid, incompetent, and a lire! I mean this lady was just going to town. I listened to all I could handle and then I to let loose.

I calmly walked up to her and said "Mam, you need to shut your mouth. You're actually going to personally attack this girl for doing her job because you aren't gonna save like 67 cents. You must be out of your cotton picking mind. Just pay the damn bill and go home. And the next time you feel like coming out...DON'T!" She wasn't exactly pleased with that but she was either embarrassed enough, or the fact that I was looking like a pissed off wild man, that she paid the cashier and left without saying another word.

I don't know why people have to be jerks to strangers but it seems they just do. I don't know if they just have it in their heads that since this person is doing a service for me that they are lower then them or something. I had to deal with people like that all the time, just because I was a car washer. I won't put up with it. I don't care who you are or what you do, you don't have the right to be a complete jerk. Since the person they are yelling at can't do anything about it or risk loosing their job, I sure will. And I won't be nice.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hey! did you at least get a date with the cashier for coming to her rescue?