Thursday, February 21, 2008

Let's Be Honest

We tell lies when we are afraid... afraid of what we don't know, afraid of what others will think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger. ~Tad Williams

In my opinion honesty is one of the greatest qualities a person can have. It's oh so rare, and society seems to want to make you believe that it's not all that great. But society is wrong. Honesty is a wonderful thing. It frees you from worries. You don't have that guilt hanging over your head. For the most part you feel good when you tell the truth. (Sometimes the truth hurts, but it's better then the fake feeling a lie gives) Now I try to be honest. Sometimes I can be brutaly honest, which isn't always a great thing. I don't hide what I think, or what I do. And it makes life easier in a lot of ways. It puts everybody on the same page. They know where my head is at. Besides that, who cares what other people think about you? The only one that it matters with, is you.

I just don't understand. Why can't we be honest? Why is it so hard for some people to tell the truth? At my work 90% of the time all I hear are lies. Sometimes it's a lie about the smallest, most pointless thing ever, and yet it's still a lie. Why even bother? Now sometimes I understand a lie or a bending of the truth is necessary to spare someones feelings. But most of the time you can be honest and still spare their feelings.

Telling a lie can get you into a lot of trouble too. I'm not just talking about telling a lie to someone, but telling a lie to yourself. Some people act like something they're not, mostly to impress someone else. I think it's horrible. You should be able to act like yourself and not pretend to be something you're not. In relationships it causes major problems, because suddenly you're deep in a relationship (marriage) and you drop the mask of this person you aren't. Oh no, everything just seems to fall apart. All because you weren't being truthfull to who you are.

I say, just be honest. It makes things a whole lot easier. And we would in general be a whole lot happier with our lives.

No comments: