Friday, May 01, 2009

Defeat vs Failure

Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
George Edward Woodberry

I'm not sure if I could have said it better. I don't mind losing, I can handle that and get over it without to much difficulty. The things that I really regret, the things that I dwell on, and think about over and over again, are the times that I haven't even tried. I think it's the fact that I don't know if there could have been a different outcome. When I try and fail, at least I know where my limits are and that I had the gumption to try. When I don't, there is always that nagging doubt of if it would have made things different. And on a lot of things once that time to try is gone, no matter what I do, I can't go back. It makes me sad. (Some of you know what I'm talking about.)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Try not to dwell on missed opportunites, son. We never know when we are in a situation if it is going to be pivitol in our lives or not. Most of us don't carry a crystal ball around that shows us how the future will play out. All we can do is the best we can do and then move on. You will only make yourself crazy with might have beens. Learn from the experience and then move forward determined to have the best life you can with the knowledge you have. There will be many, many more wonderful experiences in your life.

Unknown said...

no.. what are you talking about?

Tommy said...

I'll talk to you later about it my dear.