Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stars


What is it about the stars in the night sky? It's like one of the most amazing natural wonders. I can stare up at the night sky for hours at a time, every single night. I never get tired of it. I work down in the middle of no where, and it's pitch black out many nights affording fantastic views of the night sky. I can't get enough of it.

Does looking up at the sky invoke a deep sense that there is so much more out there? That there is a greater power in the universe? That I am but a spec compared to the infinite dimensions of the cosmos? It could be all these things. Maybe everyone feels a little bit different, but I believe everyone feels something when they look up at night. The power of creation is there to behold at just a glance towards the heavens. Yet sadly many don't get to see the beauty of it. Light pollution has caused a diminishing of our ability to see the sky. Nothing we can really do about it. But the next time you get a chance, when you are out away from civilization take a minute to look up. How do you feel when you look at the stars, what do you think about?

3 comments:

Mom said...

Tom - that was a beautiful essay.... one of your true talents may be writing.

Tommy said...

Ha! The thing is I can only really write about things that I feel passionate about.

Tara said...

I think that's true about all good writers.