Thursday, October 23, 2008

Paranoid and Over Protective

I think I may have said it earlier, but it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that I'm a little paranoid and over protective. And that was before I started the Academy. Now having been in for almost two months and been instructed by veteran police officers, its safe to say that I'm straight up crazed when it comes to safety and security. They have stories that will make you never want to leave your house. Or let anyone in the house for that matter.

Anytime I go out now, (especially at night) I'm always looking around, trying to see into shadowed areas, and keeping my eye on everyone that I see. When I'm out with a female, I try and keep myself between her and everyone on the street. I also try to walk her to her door, or at least watch her get inside if walking to her door isn't possible. And I'm even more on my guard if that's possible. Sometimes I find I worry about them, like when they say they are walking home at night by themselves. HELLO! Red lights going off in my head. I worry about the creeps that live near them, I worry about them making sure their doors and windows are locked. It just seems like every conceivable thing that could happen, I worry about. I know they can take care of themselves, but again it's that over protective, paranoid side coming out

Personally I think it's got both its ups and downs. On the up side, there needs to be that person that is always on the lookout for trouble. If your looking for it and preparing for it, you'll be ready if it does come up. Also I think that many people in the "Happy Valley" area get complacent and don't worry as much as they should about security. On the down side, I'm freaking crazed. I automatically think these strangers are up to no good, and I may be a burden to those around me. I know my roommates sometimes get annoyed that I dead bolt the door, even when I'm sitting in the living room. (I dead bolt the door the second I walk in the apartment, no matter what I end up doing after I get in)

But it does make me feel good that I'm doing all that I can to keep them safe. I would be extremely upset if they got hurt or into trouble because I wasn't on the ball. That seems like a pretty good quality for a police officer to have.

No comments: